Surveillance Systems Overview
Fibre Utility Networks install fibre based video transmission systems for multimode, single mode, ATM and IP based networks. The systems installed are based on top-quality components, excellent installation and service.
Video surveillance, is the use of video cameras to transmit a signal to a specific place, on a limited set of monitors. It differs from broadcast television in that the signal is not openly transmitted, though it may employ point to point (P2P), point to multipoint (P2MP), or mesh wired or wireless links. Though almost all video cameras fit this definition, the term is most often applied to those used for surveillance in areas that may need monitoring such as bars, banks, casinos, schools, hotels, airports, hospitals, restaurants, military installations, convenience stores and other areas where security is needed. Videotelephony is seldom called "CCTV" but the use of video in distance education, where it is an important tool, is often so called.
Surveillance of the public using CCTV is common in many areas around the world. In recent years, the use of body worn video cameras has been introduced as a new form of surveillance. Video surveillance has generated significant debate about balancing its use with individuals' right to privacy even when in public.
We are able to supply all infrastructure for your surveillance network, including engineering drawings, floor plans and integration services.
Traditionally video recorders used to be standalone units with hard drives to record the camera footage of the cameras connected to it. Typically this digital video recorder or DVR is connected to analogue cameras directly via coaxial cable. This is also commonly referred to as CCTV or Closed Circuit Television. As technology have evolved so has recorders and their capabilities. Recorders can now be interconnected to many different cameras via local area network (LAN) or wide area network (WAN). This means the network video recorder or NVR does not need to be at the same physical location as the cameras and may even have extended capabilities above and beyond recording only.
The types of recording services and hardware we are able to supply include:
- Standard DVR for standalone recording of cameras at a single site.
- Hybrid DVR, where a site has existing analogue cameras but require some new cameras with recordings into a single unified system.
- Network video recorder or NVR for single or muliple sites.
- Configure NVR with additional hardware to make recordings available anywhere in the world.
- Custom built rack mount networked recorder built and configured to customer specification.
- NVR based video analytics for notification.
- NVR and cameras integration to many other applications and platforms.
- Cloud based storage accessible from anywhere in the world, by any device.
- Complete 42U rack mount solutions for any storage requirements.
The cost of storing video for extended amounts of time can be significant in addition to hiring personnel to watch and analyse cameras 24 hours, 7 days a week. The most efficient method of surveillance and recording is by implementing video analytics. This allows the system to record only when a pre-determined set of rules has been activated. These rules can include:
- Motion detection.
- Motion inside or outside a region of interest.
- Motion detected longer than a pre-determined amount of time.
- Speed of motion is above or below a certain threshold.
- Occupancy of area greater or smaller than a certain threshold.
Many scenarios or a combination of scenarios can be configured and programmed as analytics to start recording of a specified camera or cameras while also alerting the user of the possible threat detected. This method streamlines the video surveillance system to make it very efficient for recording and notification of actual intrusions.
Any high risk security facility, such as diamond or gold mining operations needs a dedicated control room with personnel to actively monitor cameras and make decisions based on the information available to them.
The control room also serves as movement control of personnel in and out of the facility with enrollment and communication services incorporated.
Fibre Utility Networks can design your control room in-house with all drawings and export certificates required for most African countries. It is professionally built and containerised complete with all the following amenities.
- Air-conditioning for personnel
- Air-conditioning for computer and head end equipment
- Video Wall fitment of 21-55" ultra high definition displays
- Heat and cold insulation
- Long life, slip resistant flooring
- Doorways and lockable doors
- Tunstiles with biometric access control and maglocks with keypads
- Complete user enrollment services with photo identification, employee card printing, access level assignment and biometric fingerprint enrollment.
Once completed we can have your entire control room delivered to site with all clearance certificates. The only thing left to do is connecting of 240V single phase mains or 380V 3 phase and the control room is ready to start operating.
We are currently in the testing stages of our cloud recording platform. What makes this unique is the ability to have local NVR recording as well as cloud recording which would serve as a backup in the event of NVR theft.
Further testing under-way focuses on integration to IoT platforms or message queueing transport gateways over encrypted communication channels.
Fibre Utility Networks can offer the platform as a surveillance solution, in addition we can collect sensor data in the field and process the information in the cloud to provide video on demand based on pre-defined business rules.
In summary the system can provide the following:
- Pre-configured cameras, plug and play that connects to the cloud automatically
- 5 to 180 days cloud recording dependant on the payment plan selected.
- Android and IOS apps with push notifications and camera snapshot
- Ability to share any of your cameras with any other account. *Ideal for community surveillance of neighbourhood perimeters*
- Safe and secure storage of video footage, terievable from anywhere in the world.
- **Note that this system requires a permanent internet connection. LTE for video on demand is suitable, but uncapped fibre is recommended for continuous or high traffic areas**